(WRAL) North Carolina legislators agreed Wednesday to cut payments to future jobless workers and raise business taxes to hasten repayment of $2.5 billion owed to the federal government because the state couldn’t keep up with benefit requests during the recession.
The Republican-controlled Senate’s 36-12 vote in favor of the state unemployment system overhaul sends the changes to Gov. Pat McCrory for his signature. Several liberal-leaning groups have urged McCrory to veto the bill, but he has said he supports the plan.
“We’re going to pay down that debt, make the system solvent and provide an economic climate that allows businesses, large and small, to put people back to work,” McCrory said in a statement after the final vote.
Maximum weekly benefits would fall more than one-third — from $535 to $350 — for new jobless claims starting July 1. The maximum number of benefit weeks would fall from 26 weeks to a sliding scale of 12 to 20 weeks.
The bill, which already passed the GOP-controlled House last week, also means federal emergency extended benefits approved by Congress in January are poised to expire in North Carolina six months early, in July. The federal law directs extended benefits be canceled in states that modify benefits.
Read the rest HERE!Comments